Okay, you guys probably know by now that I have a serious chocolate addiction. This problem in only exacerbated by the addition of the glorious substance known as peanut butter.
It is a fact that I have chocolate before, during, and/or after every meal. I have been told this is "unhealthy". Therefore I have been trying my best to eat something chocolate-free for breakfast, such as an omlet.
This granola pretty much destroyed that plan.
Once I discovered that it was impossible to fry an egg in the morning while this heavenly substance is living in your cupboards, I decided I would have to change my strategy. From now on, no chocolate after dinner.
So I had my sister hide the chocolate chips on the top shelf in the pantry, far out of reach.
The next thing I knew, it was eight o' clock at night and I was hanging from the top shelf in the pantry. There was the after taste of chocolate in my mouth, so I must have devoured a handful or so of the forbidden substance in my Hulk-like frenzy. Now that I had returned to my senses, I realized where I was. I had no idea how I had gotten up there, but there was no way down but to jump.
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Granola
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter (smooth is fine too)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 cup pecans,chopped (or other nuts)
- 1 cup pretzels (lightly crushed)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 250ºF.
- Melt the peanut butter and butter together in the microwave. Stir together with the rest of the ingredients (except for the chocolate chips).
- Spread on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 1 hour, stirring every fifteen minutes.
- Melt the chocolate chips and drizzle over the granola. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- Serve with milk, yogurt, or just by the handful.