I'm sort of a breakfast freak lately, in case you haven't noticed. It might have something to do with this baby that's been hanging out in my belly. I always wake up STARVING in the morning with the baby kicking my ribs as if to say, "Hey, I used up all your nutrients and energy with my acrobatics in the night. Now feed me, lady!"
So I struggle for a while, like a beetle on its back, and finally roll out of bed and find some food.
By the way, speaking of the baby's acrobatics, I think this kid is going to be musical, because when I play music, a dance party starts going on in there. Either that or maybe he/she actually doesn't like it and is trying to escape...?
Or maybe I'm just imagining the whole thing in the desperate hope that my kid is going to be a genius. That's probably the most likely scenario, knowing me.
Anyway, you should totally make this sandwich for breakfast. Or lunch. Or dinner. Midnight snack?
By the way, I realized after I devoured this sandwich that feta is one of the many forbidden foods for pregnant women. Heh heh. Oops.
Stay tuned on all my Berlin adventures and recipes by following on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest or following by email by enter your email address in the top right hand sidebar!
- Mediterranean Breakfast Sandwich
- Two slices of bread (I used this gluten free rosemary foccacia)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- A sprinkle of rosemary (fresh is best, but dry will do!)
- A few leaves of fresh spinach
- A few tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 of an avocado
- A squirt of lemon juice
- Sundried Tomatoes
- Sliced Cucumber
- Feta Cheese
- Toast the bread.
- Beat the egg and yogurt together in a small dish and pour onto a greased pan over medium heat. Fold into the shape of your bread as it cooks. Add some spinach to the top of the egg while it's still wet and then flip. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and rosemary and continue cooking until the egg is done and cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Smash the avocado and add a squirt of lemon juice and some salt and pepper. Spread onto toasted bread and top with egg.
- Top sandwich with sun dried tomatoes, cucumber slices, feta cheese and pesto.