Seriously though, this soup is so good that you will gladly sweat bullets for it. Even in 99ºF weather, you will not be able to resist it's deliciously smoky flavor, its chunks of potatoes roasted to perfection, or its thick, creamy cheesiness.
And did I mention THE HOMEMADE PRETZEL BOWLS?? They are a vision of beauty, a thing of perfection. The soft, buttery bread perfectly married to the cheesy goodness within. You may never settle for a simple Auntie Anne's pretzel dipped in a little container of boring cheese sauce again.
Okay, let's be realistic. You'll never stop loving those mall pretzels. But you can make your own that taste just like the original, you know.
Anywho, I hope you enjoy this beautiful soup. And, uh, next time I'll try to be more seasonally conscious in my cooking. Heh.
- Roasted Cheesy Potato and Ham Soup
- 4 medium sized red potatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 1 smallish onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- A few tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 4 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 8 oz.)
- Pretzel Bowls (For the recipe, click HERE)
- Place the chopped potatoes, ham, onion, garlic, carrots, and celery on a greased baking sheet. Toss with oil, paprika, garlic salt, and pepper. Broil on high for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and golden brown. Put them in a large pot on the stove.
- Place the corn starch in a small dish and add a tablespoon of milk at a time until all of the corn starch is incorporated and no lumps remain. Add the corn starch mixture, heavy cream, and remaining milk to the vegetables.
- Cook on the stove until thick and bubbly. Add the cheese and stir until well combined. Serve in pretzel bowls (recipe coming soon!). Top with sour cream and chives if you want.
Don't forget to follow Yammie's Noshery on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, RSS, and Pinterest or enter your email address in the top right sidebar to receive posts in your inbox!