Lame. This is a word I often use to describe myself. For instance, I just went to Grandma's house to drop off some sweets for Grandpa (I'll get back to those later) and I left the car door unlocked while I was inside, so on the whole way home I was convinced that a creeper was in the backseat about to stab me from behind. I distracted myself by listening to Disturbia on the radio. Smart.
After seeing these pictures, you may disagree with my self-diagnosis. And indeed, these confectionary wonders, coupled with the fact that I cleaned out my supply closet at The Office today which has not been cleaned out since at least 1988, cause me to think that maybe you are right. Though I am lame in many and various ways, I do have my strokes of brilliance. I can accomplish great things.
Yammie's Homemade Twix Bars
For the cookie:
1 stick of butter
1/4 C sugar
1 C flour
For the caramel:
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C pancake syrup (I hate fake syrup on my pancakes, but like it for baking)
1/4 C light corn syrup
1/4 t salt
1 stick of butter, softened
For the chocolate:
10 Hershey chocolate bars (thought 5 would probably be sufficient for anyone without an epic chocolate craving)
- First make the cookies. Cream the sugar and 6 tablespoons of the butter.
- Cut in the flour. Then add more butter 1/2 tablespoon at a time until you have a nice dough.
- Kneed it lightly to combine and press into the bottom of an 8x8 in. pan.
- Bake at 250º for about 50 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Now make the caramel. Combine the brown sugar, salt, and syrups in a small saucepan.
- Cook on medium high heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a full, rolling boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in softened butter.
- Pour cooled caramel on top of cooled cookie crust.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on low power. Pour over cooled caramel.
- Allow to harden before cutting (I know it's hard to wait. That's what freezers are for, my friends).